6 Lessons You Need To Find Out Before Writing Your Next Follow-Up Email
You met a great individual at a networking occasion and you had a terrific conversation. You send out a follow-up e-mail and get no action.
This used to take place to me all the time up until an extremely clever individual mentioned what I was doing incorrect.
I made the entire follow-up email about how the other individual could assist ME!
I was reminded by my old methods when a reader sent me a follow-up e-mail and asked why he didn’t get a response.
I’m going to break down where he went incorrect (he gave me permission) and show you how to write a perfect follow-up email.
Ben’s Follow-Up Email
” I have a concern about the post-networking
I have written an e-mail to thank someone, however sadly I didn’t get a reply. I believed we had a nice chat during the networking as both people worked for the very same business in the past. What should I make with it?
This is the email I wrote to her:
I delighted in conference you at last week’s networking session and talking with you about your company. Most of all, it was fantastic to learn both of us used to work for Acme Company.
Considering that our conversation, I visited your website. I am extremely impressed by the work your company is doing and I would delight in talking with you about it further.
Here are some concerns I would like to ask,
- When would be the appropriate time period for me to get the 2014 summertime internship? How lots of rounds of interview will be and what type of interview will they be?
- This may be a personal concern, however I wish to learn if possible. What determined you to join XYZ Accounting Business from Acme Business? What was the main difference/main obstacle for you when you freshly signed up with CVCI?
I would benefit enormously from your gold mine of experience and I am quite anticipating chatting with you again.
Initially glance you may think Ben’s email is good:
- He advises her what they have in typical
- He went to the site before sending out the e-mail
- He even asks about her career
But if you put yourself in Amy’s shoes you’ll discover a number of mistakes that result in her disregarding the email.
Lesson One: Customization is Necessary
I delighted in conference you at last week’s networking session and talking with you about your company.
- Constantly consist of the name of the networking event where you satisfied (people go to lots of occasions).
- Include the name of the company where the person works.
When writing a networking follow-up e-mail, you do not want the individual to believe you sent out the very same e-mail to everyone. Take the additional time to include where you satisfied and the company name.
Lesson 2: Discover Ways You Can Increase Credibility
Many of all, it was incredible to learn both of us utilized to work for Acme Company.
- This is a terrific line. You develop something you have in typical, but you can take it a step further. Ask her if she knows a certain person at the company.
Understanding somebody at the company increases your trustworthiness. You might also, inspect to see if you have any common connections on LinkedIn.
Lesson 3: Make Your Call To Action Clear
Given that our discussion, I visited your website. I am very impressed by the work your company is doing and I would take pleasure in talking with you about it further.
- Let her know what satisfied you and why. It will reveal that you in fact went to the site. Anybody can state, “I’m really impressed by the work your business has done.”
- Don’t be unclear with your ask! When would you like to talk? Next week? Next month? Over coffee? On the phone?
Don’t develop work for the other individual! Suggest how you want to interact (Skype, email, coffee) and when.
Lesson 4: Be Patient and Don’t Request Something Right Away
Here are some questions I wish to ask,
- You just satisfied the person and your inquiring about a potential job. You could probably find the answer to this on the business’s website. Do not ask concerns that you can quickly discover the answers to.
- Secondly, you make it appear like you’re not interested in the internship if the procedure is long. Does it really matter how lots of rounds of interviews there are if you really wish to work for the company?
Save any question about prospective task opportunities for when you satisfy in person. As Gary Vaynerchuk would state, “Do not pull the 19- year-old-dude relocation on social media. You must never attempt to close on the very first deal.”
Lesson Five: Keep The Questions Simple And To A Minimum
— This may be a personal concern but I would like to learn if possible. What inspired you to join XYZ Accounting from Acme Company? What was the main difference/main obstacle for you when you recently joined XYZ Accounting?
- The concern seems harmless, however why somebody leaves a business can be really personal (bad boss, they were laid off, and so on).
- Do not concentrate on obstacles individuals face in their career, specifically if you don’t understand them that well.
You do not want to ask a concern that could make the other individual unpleasant and have to concentrate on their challenges. Keep the concerns to a minimum. You can ask more questions when you fulfill personally.
Lesson 6: Deal Value. It’s Not About YOU!
I would benefit significantly from your gold mine of experience and I am very much looking forward to chatting with you once again.
- Stating that you would “benefit significantly” makes it sounds like you’re simply using them. The e-mail should focus on the other individual be all about them and not how they can help you.
Focus on how the other individual will benefit from conference you. Not how you will benefit.
Let’s wrap-up the lessons real quick:
If Ben Sent The Email Below, He Would Have Gotten an Action
” Dear Amy,
It was a pleasure conference you at the Accounting Mixer last Wednesday. I really delighted in talking with you about all the great work you are presently doing at XYZ Accounting. It’s actually funny that we both operated at Acme Business. Do you take place to understand Joe Jackson? He’s a really great man and taught me a lot about accounting.
I visited XYZ Accounting’s website and the ingenious work you did for ABC Corp was fantastic. It would be great to hear how you broke into the accounting market and the role you presently play at the business. Would you be up for meeting for coffee? There is an excellent coffeehouse right by your workplace. Would you have the ability to break away for 15-20 minutes this Thursday at 2: 00 PM? If not, I can make myself readily available anytime on Friday.
P.S. If you do not know Joe, I would more than happy to introduce you to him.”
Here’s How Each Lesson Is Integrated Into The Follow-Up Email
- Customization is Important: You advise them where you met and include the company name where Amy works.
- Find Ways to Increase Reliability: You remind them that you worked at the very same business and point out another individual who operates at the company.
- Make Your Call To Action Clear: You ask to fulfill for coffee and provide her 2 possible days to select from.
- Be Patient and Don’t Request Something Immediately: Rather of asking her about an internship, you ask her about her profession. People love speaking about themselves!
- Keep The Questions Basic And To A Minimum: The only question you ask is if she will meet you for coffee.
- Deal Value. It’s Not About YOU!: You provide to introduce her to Joe.
Once you go out for coffee and begin speaking about her career, then you can inquire about the internship, if it makes good sense.
You can state, “I observed your company has a summertime internship program. Do you have any suggestions on how I can increase my chances of being selected? I ‘d like to gain from a few of the very best and brightest in the industry”
After you satisfy, ensure you send out a EXCELLENT thank you note
An improperly built follow-up e-mail can ruin your chances of connecting with an individual you met at an occasion. Consist of these lessons in your follow-up e-mails and you’ll get a reaction!
Leave a comment below and let me understand your biggest take away from this article.
Previous Post: 2 Ways to Solve the Opioid Crisis
Next Post: Top 15 Health Care Marketing Podcasts You Need To Follow in 2019